June 12, 2010

3 Months In!

Well it's been 12 weeks since I started skating....the official 3 month mark isn't for another 2 weeks but I feel like an assessment is in order. So, here's a list as of today of what I can now do thanks to a lot of hard work and rocking coaching. First and foremost, jumps: waltz jump, toe loop, salchow and loop. Off ice I can do flip/lutz (as you really can't differentiate off ice) and axel. Spins: two foot, one foot/scratch (not nearly as pretty as I'd like), just started backspins and scratch spins this week and can get a couple revolutions. Spinning is not my strong point, jumping is. As for moves in the field, I guess a good guide would be the required adult testing elements. I can do all of the pre-bronze moves: forward perimeter stroking, consecutive edges FI, FO, BI, BO, forward and backward crossovers, waltz eight, and FI, FO, BI, BO three turns. After watching youtube videos of bronze and silver MIF tests, I'm about 90% sure I can do all of the moves from those as well. Gia, my coach, wants me to do a pre-bronze competition just to get used to competing before moving into bronze but based on my current skill level, I feel like pre-bronze is a joke and even bronze isn't going to be very challenging. I'm all for taking first but if you don't have to put any effort into it then it really isn't fun nor is it fair to the other skaters that you're competing against.

No comments: